Tuesday 21 December 2010

What a Lolly Pop!!

Just pulled the second load of the day out of the washing machine when out popped a lolly pop!!! I heard a little fairy giggle, but when I looked round no one was there.

I have pulled out many strange things from my labour saving devices; hovers, washing machines, tumble dryers and plugholes seem to hold the treasures of the household.

The first washing machine I remember, that had two rollers at the top. I tried to put everything through the rollers, I think it was because I loved to turn the handle and see the water cascade out. Often you would find a penny or two rotating gently in the bottom of the tub; I have been known to fall in trying to get them. I can remember trying to wash my dolly, but she would not fit between the two rollers, which I found most disappointing.

Then there was the twin-tub with the wooden tongs to help you pull out boiling hot clothes, you would be able to see the red sock before it attached the white clothes and turned them pink. The best bit of all though was sitting on top of the spinner to stop it vibrating across the room, not so good when it pulled the water hose of the tap when you were reading your Mag, your Martini would most defiantly be shaken and not stirred.

Then as I had children I became a dab hand at pulling jam sandwiches from video recorders; remember them? Finding socks under cushions, in handbags, you would find strange things in strange places and then hear yells that I've lost my brand new bracelet, as your daughter comes in to go to bed, as you have just got up. Bleary eyed and stressed you get the milk to calm you both down and there it is sitting on top of a pizza box.

I think back to the time when I had a familiar call from Axl to say could I please bring his homework to school. He had worked on it tirelessly and it was very impressive so I thought, give the boy a break. I asked where I could locate it just as I was getting the washing out of the machine while he was telling me it was in his jeans, the ones I was pulling straight ready to hang on the line as we spoke and just at that moment a memory stick fell to the floor. The expletives expressed by my son would have made a marine blush (it did me anyhow). My reaction was, right what am I, going do about that then!

Hairdryers are fabulous things! I undid the screw on the pen drive and put the heat on cool on the hair dryer and dried the pen as best as I could, I'm certain this is not a good thing to do, but what had we to lose? I crossed everything and put that memory stick into the computer and to my relief, and amazement it worked. Homework was delivered and he got the highest marks he had ever achieved.


He now lives away at university and I guess is pulling strange things out of strange places all of his own. I smile as I put the lolly pop in the bin, the pound in the savings jar and gave the dog her bone back.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this, I have washed my son's MP3 player 3 times (did not survive the last time!) Never thought to use a hairdryer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy

    Wouldn't recommend the hairdryer. Poor MP3 player

    ReplyDelete