Friday 31 December 2010

A tribute to Jim

When ever I have mentioned my brother’s suicide there are those who will tell me how wrong it was. Well I struggle with that sentiment.

My brother was full of life and capability stripped by his mental illness. We have a lot to learn about the inner workings of the chemicals released in the brain that induce conflicting thought and perceptions, one day; I hope, we will support those in this field and give these illnesses the credence they deserve.

The struggle Jim found himself with (As far as I understood it) was like an out of body experience. He had told me, just before his death that very often he felt as if he was looking down on himself while something else controlled his body and thoughts. He had researched the drugs and the effects and as a result taken his findings to a solicitor, reasoning that these drugs were to blame for the way he behaved and the ‘Stupid thoughts’ (his words not mine) he was having. He had convinced the solicitor and made us think too, about his treatment. The doctor he was under explained in simple terms, how Jim’s condition took hold and how the drugs affected and interjected his thought process which they hoped would pull him out of the deep depressions or the highs he was experiencing. I am forever grateful to that doctor who showed my family great compassion.

Though we stood firmly by his side I knew his struggle was monumental and it was crippled by the effect it had on those he loved, though our suffering was nothing in comparison with the one he went through daily.

I know he didn’t take into account the long grief stricken road his family would take, how could he? We all ride the wave of emotion in different ways and in this great fragmented country of ours we find it hard to cope with strong outpouring of emotions, preferring to keep them hidden and out of sight. I haven’t got a problem with that but we must learn to ride the wave and not suppress it, as these feelings can become a great big bully if we let them. Talk about what happens and not hide it, listen and not criticise or chastise, then grab hope and remember if we look closely enough, every problem has a solution; possibly not the one we would wish for, and sometimes you have to make do with what you have, after all, we are only human.

So on this night many years ago we lost my brother and Tilly’s Moments were borne. I vowed in that suspended moment of grief, I had loved deeply enough to live life for us both as best I could. To accept that I may not understand or agree with things as they happen but I would always carry my brother’s smile with me.



My Mum and Me

Muggy summer days
When the atmosphere is full of thunder
I pull from my heart my brother’s smile

With the song of blackbirds
Cutting through the melancholy air,
I close my eyes and see it there: -
His deep-broad smile
Upon that dimpled cheek
And his clear blue eyes
That still makes me weep.

I yearn for his voice
For his news and his thoughts
As I watch the thrush, sit upon her nest
And see the blackbirds pick
The worms that are the best,
I rest my thoughts for a while
And play in my mind a film of him.

As now I look out of my window
I see my son and daughter playing,
I can see us making up games
Our sounds
And I smile fondly,
As our mother must have done
Those years long since past

I try hard to listen to his sound
If I heard it, how would I be?
My love for my mother grows
Ever strong

With reluctance I carry on my day
I put back in my heart
What I had taken out,
And sealed it with a smile.

For though we have a pain
That
Follows us
We would not wish to have lived without.
Our thoughts now forged
Together
As one
My Mum and me x

So with a glass of wine I will hold it aloft and smile X

No comments:

Post a Comment