Sunday 23 January 2011

So what sort of flight of fancy would make a mum go on strike?

This particular “Flight of Fancy” started many years ago when I lived next to a Gamekeeper called Albert Spring. If you have ever walked with a pack of dogs or have seen a handler that rarely raised his voice but communicated; what seemed like telepathically, then you would have this energy imprinted in your being.
            There was Miss Lovelace who walked her three Pekenese of Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley; a Children’s program that still fascinates me and they have a brill web page: - http://trumpton3.homestead.com/TrumptonPt2.html I wanted to be her and have lots of dogs on leads at the same time serenely walking, elegant and in control; easier said than done, I know.
            Then there was Rip; so named because when a pup he had a thing about taking buttons of any shirt left lying around, he was my best friend when I was growing up. He was a little Jack Russell that liked to curl up with socks (specially smelly ones) never had a lead but would follow your heal everywhere until he got bored. We never trained him as such but he blended into family life perfectly.
            These three separate imprints later gave this “Flight of Fancy” wings. The catalyst was the passing of Grace my Lab and our first family dog. Even though all the family wanted the dog the responsibility was soon left at my feet. I have come to realise that I am the facilitator of all my families’ needs, requirements and dreams but when it comes to my dreams or wishes they are made to feel like silly fancies. Well breeding Tink could be seen as a folly; don’t I have enough work to do? They ask, I’m always moaning about it they say. Anyway there are many dogs needing good homes at this time of year, why give yourself the hassle and the worry of pups? I could give many reasons but the main two is that Tinks pups will make ideal first time dogs and a great companion too. She is small and her temperament could not be bettered. Secondly she will teach me how to be a good handler. You see when I’ve been trained up enough I would like to foster dogs and by having this experience I will find out weather the work load will be too much or that I haven’t the aptitude to do this sort of thing.
            Even though I talked endlessly about the fostering scheme to Kev when I had the opportunity to have a dog (well three) Kev said that he knew nothing about it? Perhaps selective hearing plays a part in this one or control? Oh I could so go on about this but, I will refrain; with reluctance! We also had mega problems with the drains here and this meant we couldn’t go through with it. Diggers and gaping holes and dogs are not a good combination. So all summer Tink and I was bereft of the company and all the walks I had planed. My children said I should enjoy the summer and that the whole thing would have been hard work, they were right, I knew the commitment and constraints it would put on them but thought the rewards out weighed them all. They obviously haven’t heard how a load might be best shared. They also questioned whether it was really fair on them as they would love having the dogs around – though it was made quite clear the walking, cleaning would be mine alone as it was my idea – when it was time to give the dogs back they would be sad and they couldn’t deal with that. This is when I decided to go on strike. Why should all the hard work, love and worry be mine alone? Why should I be made to feel guilty?
            So I’ve gone on strike or is it works to rule? When I’m asked - can you just do my hair? Instead of yep, just give me a mo, I now say-you’ll have to wait and you will have to help me out! Anything above and beyond the call of duty is now met with this reply. But Oh boy! This is such hard work. The problem is I’m the facilitator and naturally I would just try to help or sort out any issue arising but at some point I have to realise that their life support is my energy and time and they can breath on their own and do all the necessary, I’m just the easy and safe option with no effort or responsibility on their part needed. Will I ever get my fledglings to fly? Or will I have to kick them out of the comfortable nest? Come back soon to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment