Saturday 8 January 2011

Ironic that!

This Story is based on true facts but I’m not telling you which ones. The best thing about writing is that you can take a little of this and a little bit of that out of real life and add a little spice to make a whole new dish to devour; it is quite like cooking really. But in essence you have to have the ability to taste and have an imagination not to mention good ingredients to start with. So I would like to take this opportunity to thank my family who are the base of all the characters in this short story who have kindly given their consent and allow me to use them in my blog, bless them.
They play themselves in this Story and I have kept it as true as any writer of fiction can. My friends wonder what it would be like to read my work without knowing me so well and I must admit I do ponder on this too. I know I now have a following of people that I do not know and I welcome you all to the Tilly way of looking at things and hope you enjoy your time on my blog. I would also like to thank all my readers for their e-mails and taking the time to encourage me to keep going and taking the time to read my blog as without you reading there would be no reason for me to write. So with that in mind I humbly say thank you to you all x


Ironic that!


I lay quietly and drowsily reveling in the fact I didn’t have to get up, enjoying the autumn sun glowing through the curtains as it gently kissed my sleepy face. The heating was chasing the chill air out and I nuzzled into the soft pillow. The man beside me stirred and heavy with sleep he slid his arm around me like a boa constrictor and squeezed.
 “Are you pregnant?”
 Perplexed and dazed from my rude awakening my eyes flung open in a reflex action, “That’s not very nice!” I slapped him.
“What - no, I didn’t mean; I had a dream you were, we had to get a new car for the baby”
“ye, ye I’ve heard some excuses to buy a car, but because of a silly dream now that’s pretty lame, anyhow I’m not even late so how could you think such a thing.”
“Not sure” he shrugged.
It had taken us years to make the decision not to have anymore children. As our two now aged ten and eight got on so well, why rock the boat? I was forty and deemed by my ever-loving husband too old to have any more without complications, so this coming Friday was chop, chop day, for him. I eased up on him; maybe it was all playing on his mind. I got out of bed to make a cup of coffee for us, before he went off to work.
When he came down stairs he had a dreamy smile on his tired face.
‘Are you sure you want to go ahead on Friday’, I asked
‘Ye’! A frown covered up that enchanted smile he wears, so to bring it back on his face I said,
‘“Does my bum look big in this?’ Turning around in my over sized silk pjs I wiggled my toush, he affectionately patted it and gave a low rumbling growl of affection. In reality my bum was too big and heart shaped, but he never complained. We enjoyed spending the little time we had before he went to work. Now the children were older they slept in on Saturdays and it was lovely. As he turned to get into his van he smiled an odd sort of smile and I blew him a kiss.
I rushed upstairs to get ready like a little girl, I was excited. I’d taken on a part time job and managed to save enough money to get Kev a large larder fridge freezer for his fortieth. It had a drinks dispenser and I had made room in the shed for the old fridge to keep our ample stock of booze nicely chilled. I’d asked all our friends around for a surprise party for him and he had no idea. I’d just stepped out of the shower when Steve and Bob came through the door bringing in the larder fridge with them, as the children ran down the stairs to see if they could help, I marveled how grown up they were and how helpful they could be now. Everything went swimmingly, the ice was flowing and cold water on tap, a real treat. We all filled the fridges with the party food and drinks for later. When Steve and Bob left, the children and I decorated the living room out, it was great fun. We had finished by lunch time and nothing else needed to be done.
Axl’s was going off with a friend and as the car to take him had just arrived, he was putting on his shoes, when his friend came to the door he started taking off his. They were deep in conversation about play station games; just like any ten year olds the bubble of youth consumed them.
“Hey lads, both of you should be putting your shoes on” I smiled; a worn patient smile, that motherhood plants on your face. Their conversation stopped as both lads looked down and laughed at the pickle they had got them selves into. Now a balancing act pursued as they both propped each other up, while walking and talking to the car at the same time as putting on their shoes. They looked like little old men after too many jars. With a toot of a horn - they were gone. 
I called for Ellarose to get in the car but she was already there and waiting. We were going shopping and then lunch at the “Funny Mans” It was our nickname for our favorite place to eat. The owner made the best carrot cake and bagels and she loved the way he made her feel grown up by bantering with her and talking as if I weren’t there.
We had only been in town for a short while, but both of us had arms full of bags so off we trundled for our treat. As soon as we arrived he called out to his staff that a V.I.P had arrived and that a table had to be found, he winked at Ellarose and asked “The same as usual madam”, with a delighted giggle she nodded and grabbed hold of me for security and to hide her self consciousness.
As I sat there looking at my eight year old that had an outlook and attitude to life like an eighteen year old, I bloomed inwardly. My life was great. I could sit back and enjoy eating, discussing clothes with my daughter in a way my mother and me could never had done. My daughter told me I was beautiful and I should treat my self to the outfit I had just tried on; I held her close and kissed her on the top of her head and said
 “I won’t be able to do that much longer”
“Why?” She asked
 “Because you just keep growing and soon I won’t be able to reach, I keep telling you.” Before I cold finish my sentence she interrupted and with her not again sort of voice with a giggles attached, rolled her eyes with an embarrassed tinge that I find so enduring. She retorted back
“I know but I can’t help growing, can I!”
While we sat there enjoying the good food an idea for a little joke began to form. The whole idea of giving the fridge for Kev’s fortieth was to get him to chill and enjoy life; he was hardly going to do that if he was worrying that I was pregnant. So I’ll do a pregnancy test, show him the negative result and put a note on top of the beer to say “Told you, now enjoy and chill!”
When we got back home the kitchen looked clutter free and not it’s normal homely messiness. I just had enough time to get dressed before everyone arrived.  I took one last look around my quiet house and a surge of contentment thrilled me. I had two beautiful children who were quickly turning into teenagers, I had a part time job I enjoyed; which meant freedom; both time wise and financially. I ran up stairs with glee to check Ellarose had got ready and then started to get ready myself.
By the time Kev had got in and had a shower. I’d had a very large Pims so little giggles kept escaping like bubbles in the air. I rushed him along by saying we had to be out by seven. He had commented on how tidy and quiet the house was, but hadn’t noticed the large fridge freezer, which made me giggle more. I’d just put a little note on the now chilled beer, when another giggle escaped and I smiled a big warm smile. I then remembered I hadn’t done the pregnancy test yet. I ran up stairs and into the on-suite and performed the deed while he finished off getting dressed. But it was I that the last laugh fell upon. I shrieked out
 “Fuck, Bugger” I fell to the floor. He was soon there to find my crumpled form in a limp state.
 “What have you done now’? His bewildered question had no answer as I could not admit any sound from my tightened throat. I could not breathe the feeling of sickness too great.
I held up the test. He held me close and laughed. I looked up at his face in horror to look into a face that was barren of concern or worry but full of the love of a father.
‘I’ve ruined everything I cried’
By the time our guests arrived for his Birthday Party, Kev had calmed me down and was having a ball, telling everyone; while supplying everyone proudly with nicely chilled drinks, of my little joke that back fired and how his intuition was better than mine. We laughed and enjoyed the party but we both knew what this baby would mean. The lack of sleep, no more time together, relaxed eating out a thing of the past, the list was endless. I had to smile though; the joke was, ironically very funny, chill! You gotta be kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment