Saturday 15 January 2011

Falling off the Tandem part two

It was only five thirty when I got to my room and I had an hour to wait before diner menu was available.
I had looked forward to reading and enjoying my pimms all week but found I couldn’t settle; due to being wound up by the spiteful text. I decided to go for a walk to unwind the tightly coiled spring within. It didn’t take long the two glasses of Pimms had worked their magic. I walked back to the veranda the July heat had subsided and the flowers sent floated on the calm and still air. It truly was a glorious setting and perfect for a wedding.
The stillness was broken by a rich and good humoured male’s voice talking on a mobile phone. As I walked up to the steps, I caught the gist of the conversation. They (whoever was on the other end of the phone and Mr. Smooth voice) were the ones who had cancelled the honeymoon suite. They had organised a helicopter to take the soon to be newly weds to a seaside location of the bride’s childhood, where the couple would not be disturbed by their boisstres friends and family; who would also be staying at the hotel. I smiled as I walked past, how sweet and thoughtful and was glad that the wedding hadn’t been called off as I had thought.
I heard his hurried footsteps and half of me wanted to turn around and see if the face matched his luscious voice the other half wanted to grab and kiss him fully on the mouth with every ounce of passion I felt. I sighed I had not had sex for so long it was starting to effect me and daydreams of romance an ever persistent emotion to sit on. Must get back to the safety of the room, I was obviously in no fit state to be out in public. I actually giggled out loud at this thought.
As I made my way to the exquisite French doors still wondering what he looked like and planning to sit on the table just inside, so I could take a sneaky peek at this voice that melted me like a warmed marshmallow. But before I could reach the top tier of the extensive veranda, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Oh and he was as sexy as his voice. His appeal dripped from his smiling eyes and down his cheeks to his smile that I immediately swooned for.
‘Sorry to bother you’ He almost pleaded with his voice and I just about stopped myself from saying ‘the pleasure is mine’ I blushed as he kept his hand on my shoulder the contact with another adult human being was intense to the point of pain. ‘Are you going into dinner now?’
‘Yes’ I replied trying to breath and not fling my arms around him and snog with gusto, now there’s a word from the past snog. The long lost sense of teenage faire l’amour sprang from that word and a primal instinct that was hard to ignore came with it. The little devil inside me wanted to hide the mother side of my complex being in a cupboard and release the animal within. But regrettably the mother side won, again! And the frustrated animal was captured and behind safe bars mores the pity!
‘Would you mind if I tagged along?’
‘Sure’ I tried to casually shrug. This was not good, how on earth was I going to keep my hands off him, let alone think straight? Now I felt a little uneasy about being on my own for diner and what on earth would he think if he knew I was in the Honeymoon suite, I wondered.
As we went down past the reception he asked me if I was on the bride’s side or the grooms.
‘Neither’ I answered tensing, lord I thought how ridiculous and silly my ideas are if he finds out I’m on my own he is going to think I’m a right loner; which of course I am, a mother is always a loner when divorced.
‘Oh’ His awkwardness made him pause for a while and then he carried on. ‘So sorry I thought you were one of the guests for the pre wedding dinner. Can I get you a drink?’
Good lord a drink, not a great idea really, unpredictable urges that felt as if they were going to erupt at any second needed strong support not more of a relaxed attitude. I reasoned; I couldn’t say no even if I wanted to. If we parted now he would be embarrassed as he would be unable to keep his invite to diner and not to mention how I would feel about being dressed up and on my own. Having a drink would get us both out of a difficult social situation. It would also give me time to plan a timely retreat. I could have a soft drink but when he asked if I wanted to share a bottle of wine I smiled and said that would be lovely.
‘So are you waiting for someone?’ He looked at me obviously taking in my dress. I wished I could lie but some of us just can’t.
‘No’ I confessed with guilt. His confused and puzzled expression made me want to play with his bemused face that he fought gallantly to control. My heart took pity on him and the truth tippled out, thanks to the Pimms.
‘This is a new beginning, silly really and a story that probably would take up most of the evening in the telling and would bore me and send you to sleep, so I’ll spare us.’ He was about to say something but once started I had to carry on. ‘I was going to have dinner and then go and read a book.’
‘That dress would be wasted on a book’
I blushed. ‘That’s very kind’
‘Nonsense, it’s a simple fact.’ He took a wine buffs approach to the just poured wine which had appeared like a magic trick. Deep in thought we waited the wine waiter and I for his verdict. He looked right into my eyes, deep into them and smiled. I felt that I could almost read his thoughts; he had picked the wine for me. He nodded at the waiter. As the waiter left he turned his thoughts to me by which time I had rapidly drank half the glass; the tension was getting to me and he was right the wine was divine. He lent over to refill my class but I held my hand over the top.
‘I try very hard to sip wine but when it’s cool and as refreshing as this, I tend to drink faster than perhaps is wise.’ He smiled and gave a little rumble in the back of his throat. It made me breathe deeply with contentment. He looked at me pleasantly surprised by my reaction.
            ‘I would like to ask a favour and I honestly wont be offended if you decline’ He attentively began. ‘I know we’ve just met and that was a little unorthodox on my part and this is going to seem really strange. But would you help me….you see I was supposed to come with someone for the family pre wedding diner and to my sisters wedding and our over bearing mother would spoil her evening and day, if all she could go on about was the fact I’m single again. There would be the Spanish inquisition of why and at the top table there would be no let up, it would all be unbearable.’
His pleading eyes drove away my inhabitations and all defences.
‘I would love to be your knight in shinning armour’
As I took another sip and an inward panic started to built up. It’s ok putting yourself forward heroically, I thought but will you be any good at riding the white charger and how are your lance tactics? I pondered. I took another sip; well actually a gulp, perhaps I think too much and even worry more. Live a dream, just for a short while, become something you will never have a chance of becoming again. Go on have a little fun, without responsibility. Mothers should have a duel personality to keep them sane; now who had said that? If nobody had they should’ve. I looked across at the stranger and into his eyes that were deep and mellow and full of playful peril. Irresistible! Somethings in life you just have to have a go at. I mounted that white charger, I feared the wrong way round, as he led me to my quest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment