Monday 8 August 2016

My ME Hero - Happy with a Nerf gun

When You Think It Is Safe To Pick Up The Washing
It Is Now!!

My solitude is broken by the yelp of a stubbed toe a ‘Bloody Hell’ and stomping of a rushed wakening. I sip the last of my coffee and take a deep breath and brace myself.

I wonder - as I hear his mobile go off, if I should just sit here and then I giggle at the ‘Shit’ that sharply punctures my solitude bubble, then expletives follow robustly as I hear the clank of the phone on porcelain. I take a deep breath and close my eyes and hope ‘please let it be on the outside and not inside the pan’. As there are no more blaspheming or stomping or shouts for mum, I think it is safe to come out of the office, my bright room at the top of our house. I look on the breezy yet warm scene out of the window at the waving corn and remember past summer holidays of days out, seaside, farms and zoo’s and wonder how this child of mine ever made it to be a man.

‘Mum’ He shouts as he runs downstairs and into the kitchen. ‘Got it’ he stomps back upstairs. ‘Mum, mum!’
‘I’m in the office’ He pokes his ruffled head through the door.
‘Anything you want us to take to nana and granddads?’
‘Nope, was that Rose on the phone?’
‘Yep, she’s on her way home. I’ll have breakfast and then we will get going.’
Front door opens and a whirlwind zips through the house, hairbrush, makeup and perfume are applied with expert hands and I remember the feel of the little hands that used to grab mine.

They both pounce on their little brother’s bed who squeals in delight and they make fun of his breaking voice.
‘You alright’ I can hear their regret and their guilt.
‘Yep, what time are you coming home?’ Angus asks. They look across at me.
‘They will be gone all day love and you need to keep your head back, you have already had two nose bleeds this morning.’

Nothing else is said and soon the door slams and I ring my mum and dad to say they are on their way. The excitement in my parent’s voice thrills and their sadness touches me. They ask how Angus is and we chat a little, and I miss them. I remember my little hand in my dad’s strong hand, how he used to squeeze mine to reassure me.

I go to take Angus’s heart rate and it hits the roof as he sits up. He squeezes my hand and I feel his warmth and support.
‘It’s alright mum, I don’t mind.’ He reassures me, as he lies back down before he passes out. ‘We have plenty to do. Fancy a shooting match with the nerf guns.’ I smile and nod as I pick up some washing from the floor. I hear the whistle of the soft pellet before I feel the sting and I laugh as I pick up the hidden self-loading toy gun and shoot around him with the fifteen shots.
I look at his big broad smile and I know we have to make the best of life we have. I just wish this is not all we have though and one day and one day soon, that smile would be able to shine once again in a free and easy time.

25,000 children in the UK with ME and their families have to face life like this. Any chronic illness needs support and not all disabilities are wheelchair users.

No comments:

Post a Comment