Sunday 31 July 2011

For all the Frazelled Mothers

Contemplating marriage and bring up children after being told I was just full of frills on my puffed up fairy life and that I had no understanding of reality (I took this as a compliment I have to say) I watched the Richard Dimbleby Lectures given by Michael Morpugo (my hero of gentle thought) and was inspired. His ‘The Butterfly Lion’ gave me faith in how I look at things and as soon as I can I’m going to buy ‘The Kites are Flying’ that he based his lecture around. His books are written for children but defiantly have adults in mind.
            Well I woke up grumpy one morning this week and by hook or by crook I want to stay grumpy. I deserved at least that, don’t I? I have a right to be how I feel, don’t I?? I feel surly and cantankerous, wizened and old and life-just don’t ever play fair!! My children said this is because I’m not getting what I want! ‘You receive as a parent’ I told them in that surly tone I have when frazzled, ‘that what you gave as a child!!!! So be careful’ I warned them. With a backward glance one of them in a quiet voice and under their breath replied ‘well you should know’ Anyhow it’s not as though I’m asking for the impossible, or am I? All I want is five minutes peace. But there again it is the summer holidays when mothers turn into entertainers extraordinaire, adding to their many talents.
            But my fairy just won’t let me be, she fly’s around my thoughts and always lands at some point as a smile upon my face. You might say this is a good thing, that being grumpy is a bad thing to be but sometimes you need to vent and people definitely need to know you also have limits but The Fairy just don’t see it that way. My fairy is a beautiful flight of fancy with frills with a puffed up attitude to life, you just have to read some of my poems and stories to see that. She sees life in such a fanciful way with no basis in reality or that’s what I was told the other day. Is this true? If you read carefuly there is a large dose of reality in her fluff and frills? Those trappings only make the bitter pill of life a little easier to swallow.
            So what was making me grumpy and why on earth did I want to stay in that state? Do you know, I can’t remember, so lost was I in another flight of fancy of Michael Morpurgo words. A man who has seen at first hand the devastation humans can do to one another and yet humanity still survives and love carries on. If he can see the beauty that can be had, surely I can!
            There are people right now starving, hiding from danger watching as others suffer so the rich can thrive. There will be many; who will be given bad news about a disease which will not be cured. Some will be harmed through another’s hand. All these things have touched me, indirectly or directly.
            For all of you out there that face these issues I pay homage to your tenacity to smile and your ability to hope. This is why my fairy wears her frills and fluffed up undergarments so she can fly through your thoughts and land on your face as a smile x
 I have no right to be grumpy, do I?
May she fly around your thoughts and land as a smile
 www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00fgfl8
Have put this link in but unsure if it will work as I have never done this before. Also added it as a link, hoping one or the other will work :-) It is well worth a look x
Now off to read the Butterfly Lion to Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment