Friday 20 May 2011

GESE Bacon Rolls at the Ready

My heart goes out to all of you doing your GCSE’s or any exam for that matter. After three all in a row with two on the same day next week Axl, rightly so, is finding it quite stressful. When I mentioned bacon rolls he perked up a little. So I got up the next morning bright and early and started to cook the bacon. Not sure that bacon was the best thing on a stressed out tummy? With rumbles of anxiety and pangs of self doubt but a mum will try anything to bring a little light relief.

I placed the bacon roll on the table. This was promptly snatched by his little brother and devoured, due to Axl deciding to take a shower. As far as Angus was concerned anything on the kitchen table in the morning was fair game. No probs I said I’ll make you another one, which was swiftly eaten by his sister, while he busied himself getting ready. Not to worry I said at his amused yet slightly flummoxed face. Knowing Ella would be titivating up stairs and Angus would be busy being Luke Skywalker outside, I sat down and talked to him while he pushed his roll around his plate.
 
We rambled on about non important stuff for a while and how he enjoyed playing against his dad in a football match last weekend, a conversation that had us both smiling, boys will be boys. All too soon we had to be leaving for school.
 

It was only when we got to school, that I saw my reflection in the windows. My hair was a mess and I had just thrown on the first thing that came to hand, not a good combination and to make matters worse I had lost my eyes due to the pollen count, they now were very swollen and red. This was not a trend setter moment. Well when I got home and saw in detail the full effect of it all, I was horrified.

While I tried to occupy my day I looked back on the conversation we had and at the way things had turned out with the disappearing bacon rolls, I smiled, that inward warm smile. I know that he would’ve already forgotten the little time we had spent together. I was now being replaced by a non-fiction English paper, such is life.

All of it was worth it though, looking like a tired old lady and cooking a mound of bacon knowing the one who it was meant for, would just take a mouthful, if that. Just to see his face relax into that familiar boy again, smiling at his mum, worth every wrinkle?

No comments:

Post a Comment